- Mechanical Engineering Department, Kashmir is a Service Department inherently playing key role in providing infrastructure facilities in developmental activities in the Valley. Other than maintaining and Operating huge Road Construction Equipments, the department is handling complete Mechanised Snow Clearance Operation of the valley, Running and maintenance of Central Heating Systems and other allied Mechanical Works in various Hospitals of Govt. Medical College, Srinagar and Director Health Services, Kashmir.
- Moreover this department is undertaking works like fabrication of Heavy Steel Structures, Design and execution of Central Heating Works, establishment of Cold Stores for Apples, Sprinkler Irrigation works, Creation of Mechanised Mushroom Development Centres procurement and installation of Mechanical Equipments for Engineering and Non- Engineering Departments.
- In order to achieve the objectives efficiently the department has hierarchy of Engineers who are responsible for managing and supervising works at various levels.
Road Construction And Heavy Earth Moving Equipments
- The department possesses big fleet of Road Rollers, Soil Compactors, Motor Graders, Trucks, Tippers, Cranes, Excavators, Dozers etc. The department generates good revenue by way of providing the equipment on hire to various Engineering Departments which includes Department of Roads and Buildings, Power Development Department, Public Health Engineering Department, I&FC Department, etc
Snow Clearance Equipments & Snow Clearance Operation
- Mechanized Snow Clearance by Snow Clearance Machines has been started in the valley after 1990. Prior to 1990 all the snow clearance of roads was being done manually by utilizing the services of laborers who would remove snow with the help of shovels. This process would take days altogether and the major inter-district roads would remain cut-off for weeks.It was during that period the Government agreed to the proposal submitted by our department for the procurement of Snow Clearance machines for Snow Clearance operation of the valley with the hope of giving immediate relief to the General Public during snow fall.
- The Snow Clearance attachments (Blades) were procured from Germany and were fitted on the heavy duty trucks from TATA. Initially a fleet of 15 nos. of Snow Clearance Machines were procured. Every year more roads were added which demanded more machines. The fleet kept on growing and at present the Department has about 101 various types of Snow Clarence Machines, like Snow Cutters, Snow ploughs, Snow Cats.
- The mechanized Snow Clearance operation has come in a big way. During last year 2011-12, about 5,400 kmsof road length have been cleared .Every year more and more roads are constructed, developed particularly in rural areas and handed over to our Department for Snow Clearance operation. The Quantum of work is progressively increasing and the operation is extending to high altitude areas where the Snow Depth experienced is more. To meet this growing challenge Snow Clearance equipment is being augmented every year, with the addition of Snow Ploughs, Snow cutters and Snowcats etc.
- For high Snow depth areas, the Department has procured imported Machinery from Europe which is being operated /maintained by this Department
HVAC (Heating Ventilating & Air Conditioning)
- The department undertakes design, execution, operation and maintenance of Central Heating systems and other allied mechanical works in Associated Hospitals in Kashmir Valley which are under the administrative control of Principal Govt. Medical College, Srinagar and rest of the hospitals under the control of Director, Health services, Kashmir.
- The Department has a separate division for this purpose which undertakes all the works of mechanical nature in the hospitals comprising of Design, operation and maintenance of Central Heating systems, Bio medical waste handling facility and other equipments like power back up units, Lifts, Laundry, CSSD, Oxygen Concentrators etc., of various Associated Hospitals and Hospitals of Kashmir Health Servives, in the valley.
- In addition to above the department also undertakes Central heating works of rest of the Engineering/Non-Engineering Govt. Departments, as well.
- The Department is a-core Mechanical Department carrying out a varied nature of activities .It has full-fledged workshop facilities in three regions of the valley Srinagar, Baramulla and Anantnag. The surpvisory, operational and maintenance staff are trained and skilled in various disciplines and thus a varied nature of works are being undertaken.
- The Department is providing Technical guidance ,assistance to all other Departments for carrying out Mechanical nature of works .The works of other Departments that are presently being under taken include the following
Mechanical Engineering Department
- Operation and Maintenance of Heavy Earth Moving Equipment – Road Rollers, Compactors, Excavators, etc.
- Mechanised Snow Clearance.
- Central Heating and support services to Government Medical College and Associated Hospitals, Srinagar & Directorate of Health Services, Kashmir.
- HVAC Projects of Other Departments.
- Providing equipment support to other departments / contractors – on hire.
- Development of Waste Management Facilities for Hospitals and Municipal Bodies.
Technical Support to other departments.
- 18 Hole Golf Course at Leh of Tourism Department.
- Procurement of Sweeping Machines for Gulmarg Development Authority.
- Establishment of Cold Storage for Tulip and other bulbs.
- Establishment of Modern Abattoir, Allochi-Bagh, sgr.
- Operation &Maintenace of Snow Beaters, Snow Scooters, Snow Cutters of J&K Tourism Department
- Equipment support for prestigious Mughal Road Project in the form of Dozers, Dumpers, Hydraulic Cranes, Back-hoe Loaders etc.
- Design and execution of Sprinkler irrigation system for saffron crop under National Mission on Saffron.
- Development of Cold Store-Control Atmosphere facilities.